Translate

Saturday, August 29, 2015

Finished Cardigan Named "Seamus"

If you don't like knitting with patterns, then you will like this post. If you freeform crochet, you'll like this post anyway even if it's mostly about knitting. I have finally created myself a cardigan that actually fits me. This is amazing in itself but not surprising that the cardigan that finally fit me was in the technique of template knitting.

I worked out of 5 books to create this cardigan. Three of them were stitch pattern books: "400 Knitting Stitches" by Potter Craft Publishing, "A Treasury of Knitting Patterns" by Barbara Walker, Schoolhouse Press, and "1000 Knitting Patterns Book" by a Japanese Publisher. The other two books were both from XRX Books: "Knit in New Directions, A Journey Into Creativity" by Myra Wood and "Splendid Apparel", a handbook of embroidered knits by Anna Zilboorg.

I started with creating my own template based on my measurements and using Cochenille Garment Design software to work it's magic. I had a local printer print out the paper pattern. I did cut out the pattern to Pellon fabric for the template. After getting my gauge, the rest was playing with pattern stitch swatches and embroidering them. Two of the swatches I added beads, but most was either a bit of Fair Isle knitting or embroidery. It was quite a fun journey, and learning experience.

Below are close ups of some of the swatches:


The knitting yarns were mostly Cascade 220 worsted and a few other assorted stash yarns I had on hand. I used size 7 knitting needles and a size G crochet hook. 

10 comments:

  1. waooo nice post about "Finished Cardigan Named "Seamus""

    Thanks,


    Mcx Tips Provider | Gold Silver Trading Tips

    ReplyDelete