Translate

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Thoughts on Freeform Textile Art and Progressive Rock


My latest freeform fun has been incorporating weaving with knitting, crochet, beadwork, and embroidery. Yes, it is a 'can do' thing and I'm excited about taking freeform down this avenue. Working without a pattern means no rules or possibly breaking rules. I'm all about breaking rules and working outside the box. After I finished the purple, gold, orange piece, I did run crochet cotton to catch the loops so I can crochet or knit from there. The pin weaving board is once again warped and ready to go. I think I'll weave colors of the sky.

Things in my finite little world inspire me create. The beauty and colors of the day outside to the imagination of other artists...they motivate me to push forward. Music motivates me, be it inspirational lyrics of contemporary praise and worship music to the creative talent of musicians.

Lately, it's been progressive rock that's inspired me to continue to color outside of the lines. Much of prog rock utilizes the whole talent of the band and pushes the listener forward on a musical journey. Not just the lyrics set the theme, but the instruments tell the story as well. I've been listening to a lot of Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Yes, Genesis, Kansas, and Rush. Much of these musicians were classically trained and they took the leap of taking classical and rock music to an extraordinary level. I should also include other prog rock bands like Gentle Giant, Tangerine Dream, King Crimson, Moody Blues and Pink Floyd.

Do I ONLY listen to prog rock? Absolutely not! I love christian, jazz, classical, blues, R&B and some country. When I'm stuck in traffic and the world feels a little intense around me, I listen to Steely Dan which is a delightful infusion of rock and jazz.
So onwards and upwards, I'm tinkering around with weaving. This is my first pin weaving piece which will go into my scrumbling bag and worked in a future textile piece.

Keep creating! Keep it real!

No comments:

Post a Comment