Translate

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Noro in Brioche


Each summer, I try to have a goal to learn a new skill in either knitting or crochet. This summer it is Brioche Knitting. This technique is from the Netherlands known as "Patentsteek". Nancy Marchant has written a comprehensive book on Brioche Knitting...I figure in an effort to make it more popular here in the United States. The technique is different than your usual knitting, but once you get the hang of it, it's not that difficult.
The really fun part was doing this in two different Noro Silk Garden colorways.
.
The colors in this reversible scarf went in their own separate directions and there were no real repeats. As I would knit this, I had no idea what to expect. It was just fascinating. Was as if the yarn went on its own adventure.
I have this scarf listed in my Etsy shop. It is unique from the other Noro Stripe Scarves which is what I'm trying to do. Create pieces that I haven't seen listed anywhere else.

4 comments:

  1. Really wonderful colors and knitting, Lil! Thank you for your story. I am from the Netherlands, did not do this kind of knitting in a long time. Seeing this is inspiring me, new ideas are coming in.... (By the way, a little correction in the writing: => 'patentsteek') Keep up the good work! ;-) All the best! Liset

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you Liset! I believe patentsteek is making a resurgence because of these type yarns. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want the pattern and the yarn used so I can make this for myself. Can you please send me the info?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sara, I didn't really have a pattern. I learned the basic brioche stitch in Nancy Marchant's book. The yarn is Noro Silk Garden worsted weight.

    ReplyDelete